-->

Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Fallout Continues

While some players continue to deny steroid and HGH use (Roger Clemens), others have come forward, albeit with half-hearted apologies (Andy Pettitte). There are those who have given full disclosure and co-operated (Dan Naulty) with the Mitchell investigation, but they are in the minority. And there are those players like Johnny Damon and Albert Pujols who are furious about their names being mentioned in a premature and false report produced by NBC news.

Steve Politi of the Star-Ledger had an excellent piece in today's paper on Naulty. It's the story of a player who took the easy route to get what he wanted, and has lived with regrets- and physical and mental ailments- ever since (photos to the left are Naulty in '89 and '97).

Naulty was a 6'6" stringbean who used steroids to bulk up and help him to gain entry to major league baseball. Later, he switched to HGH to help the numerous injuries that occurred as a result of too much muscle mass on his frame. Naulty actually received a World Series ring from the 1999 Yankees, though he wasn't much of a contributor. His career was taking a downward spiral at that point. Ironically, he credits a new faith that he gained by participating in Christian-based meetings with several Yankees. The ironic part? Andy Pettitte and Mike Stanton, both named in the Mitchell report, were also part of that group.

Today, Naulty is a pastor and tries to counsel youth to stay away from drugs and alcohol. If only more players would learn from his mistakes. Click here to read more of Naulty's story.

The more you re-read Andy Pettitte's statement, the more you realize his apology rings hollow. It's not even really an apology. "If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize." Those words don't exactly say, "I'm really sorry for what I did and I was stupid."

We're huge Andy Pettitte fans and have always admired and respected him. Anyone who has ever dealt with him speaks glowingly of him. Joe Torre once said, "If you have a son, you'd want him to be like Andy Pettitte."

Okay, maybe not completely. We are still Pettitte fans and we think it was great that he came forward. But, at the same time, he could have been a little more sincere with his words. Dan Graziano and Peter Abraham sum up our feelings quite nicely.

As for Roger Clemens, now that his buddy Pettitte has come forward it kind of puts him in an awkward position. His reputation is already tainted. He's in the Mitchell Report as a repeated steroid user. And if he did want to come forward, he made it even harder by having his attorney blast the report and defend his honor. Of course, he could just claim that his lawyer spoke on his own without consulting him.

But, how do you remove the taint when you haven't done anything wrong? That's what Johnny Damon is wondering right now. Damon's name appeared in that erroneous NBC report. He considered suing the station, but his agent advised against it.

"I woke up and my brother is telling me there are reporters at my father's house," Damon told The Post. "My dad told them, 'My son isn't a liar, my son doesn't lie.'"

"It sucks. I am wondering if there is any legal course to turn to", Damon said. "I walk around with my shirt off. If I had anything to hide I wouldn't do that. I really don't know what to say. There seems to be some people who don't like me..."

"I asked my agent about legal action, but he said it wasn't worth it. Maybe the president [of NBC] will write me a nice letter."

Damon was one of 41 players listed in the NBC report that were not included in the Mitchell report. Pujols was also on the erroneous list and worried about his family's reaction.
"What concerns me is the affect this has had on my family and that my character and values have now been questioned due to the media's lack of accuracy in their reporting."
MLB wants to pull a Mark McGwire and move forward, but this is all far from being over.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Ballhype: hype it 

up! Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home